Thursday, October 14, 2010

So I had another application rejected this week – this time from a Melbourne Theatre venue, in regards to programming my work in their 2011 Season (my other life outside of MTA is as a choreographer).

This isn’t a moan session though, and I’ve had more successful applications in the last two years than I ever have.  Development funding, Presentation, Commissions for new work, travel grants, and nice little scholarship to start (and hopefully finish) my Masters degree.

But those big opportunities that get knocked back sometimes take a sting.  Especially 3 in a row.  So now I’m thinking:  Do I need a producer?  Is that completely arty and wanky of me?  Would I be scorned at social gatherings if I were to say “That sounds like a really interesting opportunity for me.  Speak to my producer”?

And perhaps there should be some compensation for putting the application together? (considering this recent application took close to 30 hours to draft up, write, reflect, refine and submit).  I’m unaware of many industry’s where the professionals are asked to donate almost a whole weeks work, on the chance that it might be successful, and even if it is, the artist isn’t reimbursed for the time spent in applying.

On antoher note – I love it.  I kind of get this giddy rush and my brain thinks too fast for my typing fingers when I’m putting together and application.  And that stranger in the foyer after opening night, who feels compelled to wait around, introduce him/herself and say “wow” kind of makes up for it.

Food for thought, and another successful rant from the brain of Gareth Hart, full time Artist, part time MTA Artist Liaison.

Have a grand weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment