Monday, December 13, 2010

The MTA premiere

Hey guys, this is my first post for my MTA Entertainment and Events experience blog. Actually, this is my first blog post ever, can you believe it?! Anyway, let’s get past the excitement. Every fortnight I will be writing a blog post to share my experience with you; to give you some insight of the MTA business lifestyle - from the work experience side. 

I’ll start by giving you a brief run down of myself. I’m 21, have recently moved from Adelaide to Melbourne, Australia and I’m currently studying a Bachelor of Business Event Management at APM. I’m a very analytical person, and have a interest in human and social behaviour, marketing, and of course, event management. 

If you don’t know what MTA is, it’s is an entertainment booking and event management business, that works with clients and performers all over Australia. They link the entertainment to the event as well as planning and managing entire events. They cover mainly corporate events and conferences as well as Christmas business parties. Here is their website: Music Theatre Australia

To get into the experience part of this blog now, I would like to start with my first impression of the place at which I’m working – namely the environment, the people and the work. The business is located at The VCA (University of Melbourne), housed in a bunch of big red old buildings south of the CBD. Although it’s located on St Kilda Road and is at a University, the place is quite quiet. The office is not very spacious but we're only messing with computers so this is fine for me.

The people create a great warm and welcoming environment that made me feel instantly comfortable. I love how the people have taken an authentic interest in me and my opinions. I could give a detailed brief on each person working in the office I'm working in, but there’s no need – they’re all friendly and very helpful, and have an interest in my learning within the business and industry. 

The project I'm currently working on is on the actual website. This is quite exciting! I feel I’m getting straight into working on helping the image of the business. What I'm doing is running though the database, getting the pictures for the top 90 acts of the business, resizing or just collecting the pictures of each artist, and creating a larger image for the viewer to see when they’re browsing the website.  

We also have shared project. The shared project for all of the work experience peps and co-workers is updating the social networking sites. I already have an obsessive interest in this -  not so must getting accounts on every single networking site, post and commenting on every BS thing that comes out - but the profiles, statues and linking that goes on with different sites. 
I will be working on different sites to help with MTA's social image. Working with the other guys, I know, will bring out some great ideas. 

That’s the rundown of the first fortnight of my work experience. I'm excited for what to come.

Thanks for reading

David

No comments:

Post a Comment